Thursday 19 November 2009

Today

sunset

The view from my balcony, 4.21pm today.

This morning I had an interview for some extra casual hours dealing with admin within the council. Started well with a grammar/punctuation test - I am a Punctuation Nazi after all. (eg Last week Boyfriend and I tried out a new place for dinner in Hove. The manager gave me a comments card to fill in; I circled all the spelling mistakes and misplaced apostrophes. Fact.) Went on to a typing test (not so bad), then a "how-well-do-you-know-Word" test which was dodgy in places to say the least. We weren't allowed to use the Help function, either. Then I had the answering questions part of the interview which I always suck at and today was no exception. Bah. Oh well. I can always try to beg more hours at Jubilee Library if it doesn't go well. The thing is, this job pays nearly two quid more an hour, which does add up over a few shifts. Bah again.

So, of course, I had to perk myself up afterwards with lunch at The Mock Turtle. And a poke around Paperchase. Following a recommendation on Jane Brocket's blog, I've been reading Virginia Woolf's "Selected Diaries", which I'm really enjoying, particularly when coupled with the munching of tea and toast. Sadly, I've never read any of VW's work and my only experience of her up until now is Nicole Kidman's portrayal in "The Hours". I shall have to remedy that. I'm very chuffed with the amount of reading I've managed to cram in this year. I shall have to put together a definitive list for some kind of End of The Year Review.

Anyway, back to more cheerful things. I made Banana Bread this afternoon, while starting on the basis for tonight's Shepherd's Pie, and it's made the whole flat smell yum. Next time: add another banana and double the cinnamon. Plus, there was that fab orange and blue sunset above. AND I have tomorrow off, which I'm going to spend sorting and sewing. Awesome.

1 comment:

Catherine Hayward said...

As someone who's had her fair share of bad interviews, you have my sympathy! It sounds like you did ok in the tests though. :-)
Banana bread sounds good. Can you please point me in the direction of your peanut butter cookie recipe please? I lost it before I ever got around to making them, for shame!