Sunday 21 March 2010

First Attempt at a Dress

Last Monday I spent the day making this:

reddress1

reddress2

It's a pattern from Sew U Home Stretch by Wendy Mullin, which has three basic patterns and then loads of ideas on how to customise them. This is the Baby Doll Dress. I'm pretty happy with it - surprisingly it's even wearable! I chose purple thread as I thought the contrast between that and the red fabric (which is a jersey, by the way) would be nice, but it just looks a little too messy. Next time, I think I will make the neckline come in further at the shoulders as it's flashing my bra straps a bit too much right now and, although you can't see it here, the back neckline is a little baggy, but I think that's where I must have pulled the elastic under the collar too tight as I was sewing it on. I sewed on a black ribbon for a bit of a belt, but I think it needs something thicker - an elastic belt maybe. I also need to sew a bit further away from the edge of the fabric; I was forgetting my quarter-inch completely!

But generally not bad for a first attempt, eh? I've got myself some more jersey in emerald green with tiny white polka dots, more red with larger black dots and a pale grey with darker grey stars. Plus matching threads this time! Not sure when I'll get a chance to sew this week, possibly Thursday now the IT courses I was doing have finished and I can have my Thursdays back.

Tomorrow I'm off to make soap with Sam, so I'll have a few photos of that to share!

1 comment:

Didge said...

awesome. i think u should make a crazy gaga dress next. u could totes wear it @ the library ;)
xxx