Tuesday 10 May 2011

Rivers of London

I've just finished reading (well, listening to) Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. I have to say, it's the best piece of fiction I've read all year. Just brilliant. Go and bag yourself a copy if you can, especially if you like humour, crime, fantasy, myth, legend, London, cynisism, magic, folk tales and, above all, a ripping good yarn.



Great cover, too; will have to find out who it's by if I can get hold of a hard copy of the book.

I didn't realise until I'd finished it, but Rivers of London was one of Simon Mayo's Radio 2 Book Club books back in January. (I'm quite a big Drive Time fan, I will turn off all audiobooks to listen between 5-7pm each day, but I must've been so wrapped up in my first set of roughs that I fell behind.) Anyhoo, Ben Aaronovitch was interviewed about his book, which you can listen to through the magic of the internet here. There's a sequel out already, Moon Over Soho, and another to be published later this year called Whispers Under Ground. I would go grab Moon Over Soho right away, but I so enjoyed the way Kobna Holdbrook-Smith narrated Rivers of London that I think I'll wait for the audiobook to appear, hopefully soon. The series even has its own website here.

1 comment:

crazyjane said...

LOVED this book, and have the next on the to read pile and the 3rd on order. adore them.