Thursday 30 April 2015

New Spoonflower Designs!

Yep, you read that correctly, I've only gone and done my first new Spoonflower designs in about four years!

A couple of weeks ago I was given a wonderful old book of fairytales with the most amazing 70s flowery endpapers in eye-watering shades of orange and pink and black, and thought something similar would make a fantastic fabric design. Lo and behold, just a few days later, I read the latest Spoonflower competition was for a floral border fabric so it was obviously meant to be.

I started off using the same colours as the original endpapers for that authentic 70s vibe, but after a bit of faffing about, went for a blue background. The overall shapes of the flowers are pretty similar to those on the endpapers - I love 'em so much, and they're so evocative of the time - but I had lots of fun playing about with the centres and the patterns within.

This is my final design:

70s flowers blue

And rotated 90° with a width of 42":

70s flowers blue FINAL

Ready for tiling up like so:

blue spoonflower

I've also done a version with the full-on 70s orange background and a white, plus three complimentary fabrics with an all-over retro flower design in all three background colours. If you want to check them out, my design library is here, and if you'd like to vote for my fabric (or, indeed, any of the fabrics) in this week's competition, you can do so here. Ta muchly.

No comments: